Dr. Muri joined the Ector County ISD family as Superintendent of Schools on July 1, 2019. Prior to that, he spent four years as the Superintendent of Schools for Spring Branch Independent School District in Houston, TX. During that time achievement gaps narrowed in all academic areas while overall student achievement rose. He fostered innovation in the system by incorporating the redesign process to transform the student learning experience.
Prior to taking over at Spring Branch ISD, Dr. Muri served as the Deputy Superintendent of Academics in Fulton County Schools in Atlanta, Georgia, a large school district with 96,000 students and 100 campuses.
Before joining FCS in Atlanta, Dr. Muri spent five years with Charlotte‐Mecklenburg Schools in Charlotte, North Carolina. His roles included Area Superintendent, Zone Superintendent, and Chief Information Officer overseeing research and evaluation, along with technology infrastructure and instructional technology innovation.
Dr. Muri’s educational experience includes serving as teacher, instructional technology specialist, high school principal, and administrator at Disney’s Celebration School in Celebration, FL.
Throughout his career, Dr. Muri has demonstrated a passion and ability for leading change, driving organizational effectiveness, and significantly improving student achievement while closing achievement gaps. With a focus on collaboration and excellence, Dr. Muri creates a positive and effective teaching and learning environment.
Education & Certifications
- Educational Doctorate, Educational Leadership, Wingate University, Matthews, North Carolina, 2011
- Master’s Degree, Public School Administration, Stetson University, Deland, Florida, 2001
- National Board Certified Teacher, Early Adolescence/Generalist, The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, 1994
- Master’s Level Work in Public School Administration, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 1994‐1995
- Bachelor of Arts in Intermediate Education and Middle School Education, Wake Forest University, Winston‐Salem, NC, 1988